These skewers are a great recipe to meal prep at the start of a week! You can reheat them for a meal or use them cold to top a salad! I love making these for party snacks or as an app at a dinner party.
Crispy Tofu Skewers
Crispy skewers with a creamy peanut dipping sauce. A perfect appetizer or party snack!
- Prep Time: Up to 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 skewers 1x
- 1 (12 oz.) block of tofu, cut into 8 chunks like I show in the video below
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp (or more) oil for frying
- bamboo or wooden skewers
Creamy Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup nut butter (peanut butter, tahini, almond butter, sunflower butter all work well)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Place the soy sauce, maple syrup and sriracha in a container with a lid. Stir to combine. Add the tofu chunks and shake gently until tofu is coated and has absorbed some of the sauce. Let marinate ideally for 30 minutes or overnight for best flavour. If you don’t have that kind of time (let’s be honest, who does?) you can leave it for 10 minutes.
- In a medium frying pan, heat the oil for 30 seconds on medium heat, then spread it around and add the tofu chunks. You can put them on the skewers before or after frying, however they are easier to flip if you put the skewers on before frying.
- Let each side cook a few minutes until crispy.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the dipping sauce ingredients until smooth and creamy. Add an extra tbsp of water or lime juice if you like the sauce thinner.
- Remove skewers from the pan and blot off any excess oil. Allow to cool slightly before serving, then dip in the sauce and enjoy!
Flavour Tip: If you freeze your tofu for a day or two, let it defrost, and then press it to remove the excess water before soaking it in the sauce, it will absorb much more of the sauce flavour.