I made this cake one afternoon on a whim because I want to start experimenting more with gluten-free baked goods. I was so pleasantly surprised with how great this recipe turned out! The texture is so fluffy and moist you can’t even tell it’s gluten-free or vegan!
If you’re looking for more delicious sweets recipes, check out my cookbook!Print
A fluffy vegan and gluten-free chocolate cake with a vanilla buttercream frosting. Just as decadent as a chocolate cake should be!
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1-1/4 cups coconut sugar (or cane sugar)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Whisk together buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Add almond milk and oil and stir to combine.
- Pour into a parchment-lined cake pan and bake for 32-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, using a hand mixer, mix all frosting ingredients (add the powdered sugar a bit at a time).
- Slice cake in half, then smooth frosting in between layers and on top.