I love this recipe for fluffy vegan cinnamon rolls with a hint of eggnog. They are perfect for the holidays, but you can enjoy them all year (and substitute the eggnog for any non-dairy milk).
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup vegan eggnog (or non-dairy milk)
- 1 packet quick rise yeast
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup softened vegan butter
- 4 tbsp brown sugar (or cane sugar works too)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan eggnog
- Melt the vegan butter and eggnog in a pot on medium heat until it is steaming and melted but not boiling.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl and evenly sprinkle the yeast over top. Set a timer for 10 minutes and let it sit without touching it.
- Add the sugar and stir to break it up. Add the flour in 3 parts, stirring to form a soft dough ball. When it gets too hard to mix with a spoon, use your hands to incorporate it and knead for about 30 seconds. Don’t knead too much or it will get tough and not as fluffy.
- Wash your bowl and spray with a bit of cooking spray, then add the dough back into the bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Set a timer for 1 hour and leave it on your counter to rise.
- To make the filling, use a hand mixer to beat the butter, sugar and spices until light and fluffy.
- When the hour is up, preheat the oven to 375 F. Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll it into a long rectangle with a rolling pin. Spread the filling evenly over the dough. Starting with the side closest to you, start rolling the dough from bottom to top (like shown in the video).
- Slice into 9 pieces and place in a 9-x-9 square baking pan. Bake 26-28 minutes until golden brown.
- While it bakes, stir together the powered sugar and eggnog to make a frosting. Pour over finished cinnamon rolls immediately and enjoy!