This is a perfect creamy, cheesy side dish for any holiday dinner. Get the recipe below.
♡ PS: for more easy and delicious vegan recipes, check out my cookbook Liv B’s Vegan on a Budget!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 cups vegan chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt black pepper to taste paprika (optional to sprinkle overtop)
- 1 cup vegan cheese, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a pot on medium heat, cook the onions in a drizzle of oil until translucent.
- Add onions and potatoes to a greased baking pan and stir to combine.
- Place the pot back on the stove and add the vegan butter. Heat on medium heat until melted. Sprinkle the flour overtop, then whisk to combine. let it cook for about 30 seconds to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- Slowly add splashed of nondairy milk, whisking until smooth each time to create a thick sauce. Repeat with the broth.
- Add the salt, nutritional yeast and pepper and whisk to combine. Then pour over the potatoes, using a spoon to smooth out the top and allow the sauce to get through the cracks to the bottom. Sprinkle with paprika (if using).
- Bake for 45 minutes. Then, add the cheese and bake another 15 minutes until melted and bubbling.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.