Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
This is a perfect creamy, cheesy side dish for any holiday dinner. Get the recipe below.
♡ PS: for more easy and delicious vegan recipes, check out my cookbook Liv B’s Vegan on a Budget!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 cups vegan chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt black pepper to taste paprika (optional to sprinkle overtop)
- 1 cup vegan cheese, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a pot on medium heat, cook the onions in a drizzle of oil until translucent.
- Add onions and potatoes to a greased baking pan and stir to combine.
- Place the pot back on the stove and add the vegan butter. Heat on medium heat until melted. Sprinkle the flour overtop, then whisk to combine. let it cook for about 30 seconds to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- Slowly add splashed of nondairy milk, whisking until smooth each time to create a thick sauce. Repeat with the broth.
- Add the salt, nutritional yeast and pepper and whisk to combine. Then pour over the potatoes, using a spoon to smooth out the top and allow the sauce to get through the cracks to the bottom. Sprinkle with paprika (if using).
- Bake for 45 minutes. Then, add the cheese and bake another 15 minutes until melted and bubbling.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
where do you get all your different pots and pans? they all look so beautiful ?
Usually Homesense 🙂
I loved this recipe! My mom never used to like scalloped potatoes but she does now after this recipe 🙂
I just saw this recipe on YouTube Saturday and it couldn’t have come at a more perfect time! My mom made cheesy scalloped potatoes for the family for Easter yesterday, and I’m the only vegan, so I’m really happy I was able to make some for myself! Other family members tried them and thought they were delicious too. Thank you!
Made this recipe last Christmas and it was my family (who aren’t vegan) loved it so much! They ate so much of it! I’m planning on making this for my roommate in a week 🙂
I make this recipe every Christmas and Thanksgiving and my family adores it. Just wanted to thank you for putting it together!
I just finished making this and I really, really like it (as did my son). I did make one alteration, for some odd reason, adding a bit of dry, ground mustard helps with the cheese flavor when using nutritional yeast – I have no idea why but I learned that awhile back. This has a very subtle sweetness to it that makes it very special (perhaps from the onions?). I did use shredded vegan cheese on top. The next time I prepare this, I think I may add a bit of garlic powder to the sauce, as well. I have to be honest, I had my doubts that this would be to our liking but it turned out great!! Thank you!
I halved this recipe with success.
I did a search for simple potato recipes on youtube and I can’t tell you how happy I am that your video came up. I’m literally eating these as I type , they are delicious!
I also halved the recipe and I’m seriously upset I halved it. LOL Thank you for sharing this!!
New subscriber , your recipes look wonderful!
haha! Now you know to do the full recipe next time 🙂 Thanks so much!!
Have used this recipe so many times and love it!
Just wondering – would it freeze well or would that change the texture?
Otherwise could I make the sauce a few days in advance?