These fudgey vegan candy cane brownies with creamy peppermint frosting are the perfect holiday treat! Make these for a family dinner or your work/school potluck- I promise no one will be able to tell they are vegan and gluten-free!
♡ PS: for more easy and delicious vegan recipes, check out my cookbook Liv B’s Vegan on a Budget!Print
Vegan Candy Cane Brownies
- Total Time: 40 minutes
Make your holidays extra special with this vegan recipe everyone will love.
- 1 3/4 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (dairy-free optional)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, softened
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (you may need more or less, add an extra 2 tbsp at a time until you get the consistency you prefer).
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix together chia seeds and water. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar and baking soda.
- Add oil, non-dairy milk, vanilla and chia mixture.
- Add dry mixture to the wet and stir to form a batter.
- Pour into an 8×8 parchment-lined baking tray and bake for 28-30 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the centre, if it comes out clean or with a few crumbs they are done. If it comes out with any batter on it, bake a few more minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Meanwhile, using a hand mixer, mix all frosting ingredients except candy cane (add the powdered sugar a bit at a time until smooth and combined).
- Once brownies are cool, add frosting and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
If you use all-purpose flour instead of buckwheat, the brownies will be more cakey and crumbly
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes