If you have been missing the convenience or flavour of chicken nuggets, make a batch of these to enjoy right away or freeze for a later date. They reheat perfectly so you can double up on the recipe and have store-bought quality nuggets in no time! The prep take a little bit of time but is super easy, which is why I love to make a double or triple batch on a weekend when I have some extra time.
- 12 oz. block of firm tofu
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour (or brown rice flour)
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice tofu into 12 rectangles (see video). Optional step: cut into “nugget” shapes.
- Press with paper towel and or dish towel to remove excess moisture.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, corn starch, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Add the flour to another bowl, and the non-dairy milk to a third bowl.
- Dip each piece of tofu in the flour, then the non-dairy milk, and finally in the breadcrumb mixture to coat. Repeat with all the tofu.
- Add some oil to a frying pan on medium heat and wait until it is heated. Add the tofu pieces into the pan and fry a few minutes per side until golden.
- Once golden, place on a baking sheet and bake 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Enjoy!