Today’s vegan recipe is for Veggie Bolognese Pasta.
Who needs beef when you have 3 types of vegetables? I know a lot of you (especially you, Dad) are rolling your eyes. But to be fair, this sauce is a great way sneak some extra vegetables into your diet. The veggies mimic a ground beef texture and the flavour is amazing thanks to the spices, marinara and coconut milk.
♡ PS: For more easy weeknight dinner ideas, check out my cookbook Liv B’s Vegan on a Budget!Print
A quick & easy weeknight dinner idea! This vegan bolognese pasta is not only healthy but delicious and hearty as well.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium carrots
- 6 button mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 700 mL jar of marinara sauce
- 1 cup (approx half a can) full-fat coconut milk
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, for cheesy flavour)
- 1 box (450 g) dry bowtie pasta
- Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, mince the bell pepper, carrots and mushrooms until it resembles a “ground beef” consistency.
- Add the oil to a pot on medium heat. Add the garlic, minced vegetables, basil and parsley and cook a few minutes until carrots are tender.
- Add the marinara sauce, coconut milk and nutritional yeast. Stir to combine, then simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper if you like, along with the drained pasta. Stir to combine, then serve.
Here’s a plant-based protein tip: if you want to add more protein, add 1/2 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein) and 1/2 cup warm water to a small bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then add it into the sauce at the same time as the vegetables. It adds extra protein and a great meaty texture!