This super easy chocolate cake with chocolate frosting recipe is my go-to for birthday parties! It’s moist, fluffy and just the right amount of dense. It’s as decadent as a chocolate cake should be and no one would ever know it’s vegan!
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup applesauceFrosting Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup softened vegan butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
3. Add the melted coconut oil, almond milk mixture and applesauce and stir to combine into a smooth batter.
4. Prepare the cake pan: use an 8-inch round cake pan and either line with parchment paper or grease & flour it (see video for how to do that!)
5. Pour the batter into the pan and bake in the preheated oven for 32-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
6. Using a hand mixer, combine all frosting ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until needed.
7. Allow cake to cool completely. Then, either frost the top and sides of the cake, or slice cake in half, add frosting in between the layers and then frost the top and sides (see video for how I did it!)