I had been wanting to try this for so long…and it was worth the wait. VEGAN BUFFALO CHICK’N MAC & CHEESE!!! Wow. It is amazing. So cheesy. So spicy. The perfect comfort food AND amazing for parties and serving to people who claim they don’t like vegan food. Trust me- they’ll love it!
- 2 cups macaroni
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder (if you really like garlic add 1/2 tsp)
- 1 cup almond or soy milk
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp buffalo or hot sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- pepper to taste
Buffalo Chick’n Ingredients:
- 1/2 batch of tofu nuggets OR 6 oz. store-bought vegan chick’n strips
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup (or less if you aren’t into super spicy food) buffalo hot sauce
- Prepare the tofu nuggets according to recipe. If using store-bought chick’n, bake according to package directions, then chop into bite-size pieces and add to a mixing bowl. Drizzle the bbq sauce and buffalo sauce overtop and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, to a large/medium pot, add macaroni, water, dijon, salt and garlic powder and stir well. Bring to a light boil, stirring frequently so it doesn’t stick. Cook until liquid is mostly absorbed and pasta is cooked.
- Stir together the almond milk, nutritional yeast, tahini, buffalo sauce and lemon juice until combined.
- When the pasta is cooked, add the sauce, vegan cheese and pepper and stir until cheese melts.
- Add the mac & cheese to a baking dish, top with the buffalo chick’n chunks and stir. Top with breadcrumbs for a crispy top. Bake in oven for 5-7 minutes on broil until top is golden and mac & cheese is bubbling.