I have finally found an easy vegan recipe that makes convincing french toast!
Try it this weekend! Serve it to family and friends for brunch or make it just for yourself. It’s the perfect way to start a day…
PS: There’s plenty of more easy vegan recipes in my cookbook!Print
The Best Vegan French Toast
I have had this lingering hope of making really good vegan french toast for years. Sadly, I have been disappointed a lot in my trials of trying to find an easy recipe that made convincing french toast. BUT today is a happy day because this recipe is absolutely amazing! It makes the perfect french toast with crispy golden edges and a soft but not soggy centre.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 (with 2 pieces each) 1x
For the Batter:
- 1/2 block firm tofu (approx 6 oz.)
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp vanilla (I like a lot of vanilla)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the French Toast:
- Vegan butter for frying
- 8 thick slices of your favourite bread
- Maple syrup
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Berries (optional)
- Start by making the batter: add the tofu, plant-based milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour batter into a shallow bowl.
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat and add some vegan butter. When it starts to sizzle, dip a slice of bread into the batter, then quickly dip the other side. Allow any excess to drip off, then place in the pan. Cook a few minutes per side until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the bread.
- Top with berries, powdered sugar and maple syrup (if desired!).
Tip: the batter can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. This is great if you want to have french toast throughout the week (this way you don’t have to make the batter every time!).