These meatballs are amazing! The texture is incredibly meaty and the flavour is on point! I love using them for spaghetti and meatballs, meatball subs or even sweet and sour meatballs with rice!
- ¾ cup cooked brown lentils
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup almond flour (or other type of nuts, seeds like walnuts or sunflower seeds)
- ¾ cup gluten
- ¾ cup vegan beef broth
- 1 tsp mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tbsp nooch
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cook your lentils and measure out 3/4 cup cooked brown lentils (or if you are using canned lentils, simply measure out 3/4 cup.
- In a frying pan, cook onions and garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes until onions start to become translucent.
- To a food processor, add cooked onions, garlic, almond flour and lentils. Pulse until it becomes a paste consistency. It doesn’t have to be completely smooth, but it should be like a wet paste.
- Add to a bowl along with vital wheat gluten, herbs, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Mix with a spoon or your hands until it becomes a crumbly mixture. Add the broth and stir to form a dough.
- Use a tablespoon-size scoop and roll the dough into balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove form oven, flip and bake another 15 minutes.
For spaghetti and meatballs:
Cook spaghetti according to package directions, drain and set aside. Cook meatballs in marinara sauce in a frying pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Top pasta with the meatballs and sauce. Enjoy!