If you are looking for a protein-packed vegan meal, this might be your new favourite recipe! Quinoa is a great option for people who love grains but want to eat higher protein meals. Pairing it with seitan (a vegan mock-meat made of wheat gluten) makes a super hearty meal! The BBQ flavour of the seitan reminds me of a summer meal, which is perfect as summer is just around the corner.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¾ cup vegan beef broth or vegetable broth
- For cooking: 1-½ cups vegan beef broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa + 2 cups water
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ½ cup chopped snow peas
- 1 handful sliced almonds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp italian herbs
- ¼ tsp salt
- Drizzle maple syrup or agave, if desired.
- Whisk together the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, paprika and oregano.
- Add the broth and stir to form a dough.
- Knead for 1 minute, then chop or rip into small chunks (see video for size demo).
- Add the rest of the broth to an instant pot. Add the seitan chunks. Close the lid, flip valve to sealing and cook on manual for 15 minutes. The pot will need to come to pressure, then will count down from 15. In total it should take about 25-30 minutes. * if you do not have an instant pot, you can boil the seitan in a pot on the stove. It will take longer though, about 45 minutes, to get the right texture without being gooey. You can experiment with cooking times to get the texture you like!*
- Once done, flip the valve to venting to manually release all the pressure. Remove the seitan from the pot and place in a strainer to get rid of excess liquid.
- Heat a frying pan with a drizzle of oil on medium heat.
- Add the seitan chunks and cook a few minutes, flipping once, until browned.
- Add the BBQ sauce, mustard and maple syrup. Stir to combine, then let simmer a few minutes. Serve on top of quinoa salad for a delicious, protein-packed meal.
Add quinoa and water to a pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer lightly and cover with lid. Cook until water is absorbed, then set aside. Add cooled quinoa, veggies and almonds to a bowl. Whisk together dressing ingredients, then pour over salad and toss to combine.