This meatball sub is partly traditional, with marinara sauce and cheese, but has a spicy twist: chipotle cream sauce and jalapeños! Try it today, or for something different, try out this Sweet & Sour Sub.
PS: for more delicious plant-based recipes, check out my cookbook!Print
Spicy Italian Meatball Sub
This sub is savoury, spicy and has a great bite thanks to my homemade vegan meatballs!
- Yield: 2 subs 1x
- 2 medium sub buns
- 6 meatballs (find my recipe here)
- 1–1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese shreds
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper
Chipotle Cream Sauce
- 1 cup cashews (boiled for 10 minutes in hot water if you don’t have a high speed blender)
- 3/4 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp chipotle seasoning (I get mine here)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Heat meatballs and marinara sauce in a medium frying pan on medium heat. Stir to coat and simmer about 5 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Slice in half and de-seed the jalapeño. Cut into quarters. Reserve one quarter for the chipotle sauce and finely chop the rest to use as a topping for the subs.
- Meanwhile, in a high speed blender, blend cashews, water, salt, jalapeño and chipotle powder until smooth and creamy.
- Slice sub buns in half. Spread chipotle sauce on the buns. Add 3 meatballs to each, then top with cheese.
- Bake up to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with fresh basil, jalapeño, more sauce and a sprinkle of black pepper. Enjoy!