It took me a long time to master a restaurant-quality curry recipe at home. But I did it! This tastes like one of the dishes from my favourite Indian restaurant (maybe slightly less salty, but you can add more salt if you like!)
PS: For more delicious vegan recipe ideas, check out my cookbook!Print
Roasted Potato Curry
A veggie-packed curry with chunks of tender roasted potato, in a luxurious creamy sauce. This ingredients list seems longer than most of my recipes, but I find with Indian food, if you want the best and most authentic flavour, you’re going to need all the spices!!
- 2 cups chopped mini potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1–1/2 cups cashew cream (made by bending 3/4 cups cashews with 1–1/2 cups water)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen veggies
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Toss potatoes in oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in a baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until fork-tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a pot on medium heat, add the oil and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add all the spices. Stir quickly and let heat for about 30 seconds, then add the cashew cream and stir to combine. Add the tomato sauce and lemon juice. Cover and simmer a few minutes.
- Add the frozen veggies and let simmer a few more minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add them into the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve over rice. Enjoy!
This recipe was a bit longer to make than what I like (I’m not crazy about cooking, but I love eating good food so sometimes I make the effort) but it was totally worth it. It actually reminded me of a tikka masala chicken recipe I made years ago (when I was not vegan obviously) and that I loved but I never took the time the find a vegan substitute, and damn your recipe is sooooo close to that taste, I loved it. Because I’m dumb, I didn’t buy enough tomato sauce but it was still really good, the creaminess was perfect and the spice blend was on point. I prefer this type of curry, compared to thai or japanese curries, so I’m really grateful to you for this dish. It’s awesome.
So glad you enjoyed it!! It definitely is a bit more involved than my other recipes (way more spices than usual) but it is so worth it! 🙂
So so SO good! I swapped out the cashew cream for 1 cup of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of water and it turned out amazing. Definitely will be making again!