I’m not going to lie, I always thought split pea soup looked and sounded pretty gross. But I have changed my mind after making it myself! This recipe is super easy, absolutely delicious and goes amazing with a monte cristo sandwich!
A simple vegan recipe for split pea soup that is hearty, cozy and full of protein and fibre!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf or 1 tsp crushed bay leaves
- 2 cups split peas
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I used vegan chicken broth)
- In a large pot, add the oil and heat on medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes or until onion becomes translucent.
- Add garlic and spices and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add split peas and vegetable broth and stir to combine. Turn heat to medium-low and put the lid on. Simmer about 45 minutes, adding some extra liquid if it starts to stick or get too thick. Stir occasionally and check on it to make sure it never sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- The peas should soften and break apart when cooked, making the soup a thick, almost pureed-looking consistency.
- Serve hot and enjoy!