This is a perfect weeknight dinner recipe that also makes great leftovers! This recipe is from my cookbook Liv B’s Vegan on a Budget.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped red bell pepper (about 2 large)
- 10 oz. (300 g) fettuccini pasta
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup (125mL) raw cashews
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) ground pepper
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil, onion and garlic; cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the bell peppers; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Remove from the heat.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add the vegetable mixture, nondairy milk and cashews to a blender, setting the frying pan aside. Blend on high speed for about 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the sauce back into the frying pan and heat over low heat. Add the salt and pepper; stir to combine. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly so the sauce doesn’t stick to the bottom, until slightly thickened. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- Divide the pasta among 4 bowl and pour equal amounts of sauce over each.