Today I am showing you how to make a vegan egg mix that can be used for omelets, western sandwiches and breakfast burritos! This is similar to “JUST Egg” but this is a much more cost effective version. Make sure to add black salt (Kala namak) is you like a real eggy flavour.
- ¾ cup dry yellow split mung beans (moong dal), soaked
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1–½ tsp salt
- Lots of cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp neutral oil such as canola
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Optional: ½ tsp black salt (kala namak) if you like a real eggy flavour
- Add dry mung beans to a bowl and cover with water (should be about an inch of water on top once soaking). Soak overnight.
- Drain mung beans and add to a blender with all other ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Add to a glass jar or airtight container and store in the fridge up to one week.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan on medium/high heat. Spray or lightly grease the pan with oil.
- Once hot, pour ½ cup of omelet mixture into the pan and lift + tilt the pan until it forms a thin, large circle in the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until edges are cooked and small bubbles form all over the surface. Flip and cook on other side until golden brown.
- I like to add veggies into the pan before pouring in the egg mix so they are cooked into the egg. You can also just add them onto the cooked omelet with some vegan cheese and then flip it in half to hold it all together. (See video below for demo & more ideas on how to use it!)