Big, chewy vegan pretzels reminiscent of my favourite ones from the mall food court. Use this recipe as a base and then change up the flavour with toppings (salt vs cinnamon sugar) or choose different dipping sauces. The options are endless!
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 packet quick rise yeast
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- Melt the vegan butter in a pot on medium heat, then add the nondairy milk and heat until it is steaming and but not boiling.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl and evenly sprinkle the yeast over top. Set a timer for 10 minutes and let it sit without touching it.
- Add the sugar and stir to break it up.
- Add the flour and salt, stirring to form a soft dough ball. When it gets too hard to mix with a spoon, use your hands to incorporate it and knead for about 30 seconds. Don’t knead too much or it will get tough and not as fluffy.
- Cover the bowl with a dish towel. Set a timer for 1 hour and leave it on your counter to rise.
- Preheat your oven to 375 F. Lien a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Break dough into 6-8 even chunks. Roll each into a long thin piece of dough (see video below for demo) and fold into a pretzel shape (again, see video).
- Add the baking soda and warm water to a mixing bowl.
- Dip each pretzel into the baking soda water for a few seconds, then let the excess drip off and place on the parchment-lined baking tray.
- Bake 6-8 minutes until golden-brown on top.
I like to brush mine with vegan butter and sprinkle either salt or a mixture of cinnamon & sugar overtop while they are still warm. Enjoy!