If you love shepherd’s pie, chilli or casseroles, then this is the recipe for you! This is like a chilli shepherd’s pie with cornbread on top instead of potato! Hope you love this recipe as much as I do.
For more tasty and budget-friendly vegan recipes, check out my cookbook!Print
Chilli Bake Topped with Cornbread
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
A super flavourful, cozy chilli with cornbread baked on top! A super filling and delicious weeknight dinner idea or crowd-pleasing holiday recipe!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (white, yellow or red all work well)
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can black beans (or about 1–1/2 cups cooked)
- 11 oz can sweet corn (or about 1 cup)
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup non-dairy milk + 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- 1 tbsp egg replacer (or chia seeds/ground flax seeds) + 3 tbsp water
- In a large pot on medium heat, add 2 tbsp oil and onions and cook about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add sweet potato and cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chilli powder, coriander, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn and broth.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sweet potato is fork-tender.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
Meanwhile, prepare the cornbread batter:
- In a small bowl, stir together the non-dairy milk and vinegar. Set aside. In another small bowl, combine egg replacer and water and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Add melted vegan butter, vegan egg mixture, and non-dairy milk mixture. Stir until it becomes a batter.
- Pour the chilli into a large casserole dish and use a spoon to smooth out the top. Pour the cornbread batter gently overtop and smooth again with a spoon.
- Bake 20 minutes or until cornbread becomes slightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (no batter on it).
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
This sounds yummy. Is there anything to replace the sugar with by chance?
What size is your casserole dish??
So delicious! I made a few variations – I added some cumin (1 1/2 tsp I believe) and instead of corn meal and AP flour, I used masa harina and oat flour (1 cup of each) to make it gluten-free for my roommate.
Do we need the sugar? Can we use any other sugar?
You can try another sugar 🙂