Curry is my go-to cozy fall/winter dish, and this one is my favourite recipe yet! I love adding sweetness to my savoury dishes and in this curry we achieve that with these gorgeous persiMon® from Spain (persiMon® is the registered trademark used to identify the variety of persimmons from the Ribera del Xúquer region in Spain). They are available at your local grocery stores in Canada during November and December so definitely try to get your hands on a few so you can enjoy this delicious cozy and comforting curry. This ready-to-eat persiMon® variety has a firm consistency and is delicious when eaten raw, as well as cooked. It’s versatile for so many recipes! Unlike other varieties of persimmons that are astringent, these are super sweet and have a flavour similar to a peach or mango. They have 6 grams of fibre per fruit and are a source of vitamins C, K, A, folate, potassium, magnesium and manganese. They also contain the antioxidants beta carotene, lutein and lycopene. Trust me when I say, you gotta try them!Print
30-Minute Vegan Curry
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 2 servings
Curry is my go-to cozy fall/winter dish, and this one is my favourite recipe yet! I love adding sweetness to my savoury dishes and in this curry we achieve that with these gorgeous persiMon® from Spain!
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 persiMon®, peeled and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 tsp each fennel seed, cumin seed, ground coriander
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
1. In a pot on medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes until onion becomes translucent. Add garlic, bell pepper, carrot and persiMon®. Cook about 4-5 minutes until the vegetables soften slightly.
2. Add the other 1 tbsp olive oil, fennel seed, cumin seed, ground coriander, curry powder and stir to combine. Add coconut milk, vegetable broth and lentils.
3. Cover and bring to a low simmer over medium/low heat. Cook, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes, until lentils are cooked.
4. Once lentils are cooked, add salt and lemon juice and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
5. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Recommended to serve over rice and vegan Naan bread.
To learn more about persiMon® from Spain visit: www.persimoncanada.com
This is such a great idea! Never thought of including Kaki(which is what we call this fruit here in Germany) would go with a simple curry. Now I want to try this asap:)
Best wishes, Kirsten
This had quickly become my all time favorite curry! Ive made it so many times now. Its also the recipe i make for my nonvegan friends who never suspect that this is vegan haha. Thanks for the recipe!