Seitan & Mushroom “Meat”
This vegan mock meat is made of seitan and mushroom, and comes together in under 25 minutes!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2-3 servings 1x
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 king oyster mushroom, shredded (optional)
- 2–3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp bbq sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- sesame seeds (optional)
- 2–3 servings rice
- 2 cups chopped veggies like bok choy or broccoli
- Whisk together vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together water, apple cider vinegar, ketchup and oil.
- Drizzle the wet mixture into the dry and use your hands to form crumbles (see video for demo). Add the shredded mushroom and toss to combine.
- Heat a frying pan on medium-high heat and add the oil. Allow the oil to heat for about 30 seconds, then add the seitan crumbles. Fry for 6 to 8 minutes until crispy and golden on all sides.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to package directions. Steam the veggies lightly until cooked, yet crisp. The amount of time depends on which vegetable you choose! You can google steaming times for everything.
- Lower the heat of the seitan pan to medium/low. Add sauce ingredients to the pan and stir to combine. Let simmer a few minutes until thickened. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, then serve with rice and steamed veggies.