I am so excited right now because I made a vegan “tuna” poke bowl with WATERMELON. Believe it or not watermelon is not JUST a summer fruit, you can enjoy it during non-summer months too and I think this recipe is the perfect way! Watermelon is not only a great texture and colour to substitute for tuna, but marinated in a salty, garlic + ginger marinade, it tastes so great in this bowl! Benefits of using watermelon: it contains vitamins A (8% DV) & C, it is super hydrating because it is 92% water and there are over 1200 varieties grown around the world!
Some fun ways to use watermelon:
- dice it into salads or salsas for a mild & sweet flavour
- skewer or grill it as kebobs
- simply enjoy a big, juicy slice for an afternoon snack
- juice or puree it, blend it into smoothies for breakfast or as pre-workout fuel, or mix it into your favourite cocktail
- the rind is often the most overlooked part of the watermelon, but can be used as a vegetable! Try stir-frying, stewing or pickling the rind.
- a hollowed-out watermelon can be used as a compostable bowl, super zero-waste and environmentally-friendly!
I hope this post inspired you to use watermelon in some new and creative ways. For more watermelon information, tips and recipes, visit www.watermelon.org