I always order the pan-fried gyoza at my local sushi restaurant and today I wanted to try making them myself! The filling isn’t traditional as I was using what I had on hand (including vegan sausage) but they turned out amazing!Print
Veggie & Plant-Based Sausage Potstickers
Crispy on the bottom, chewy outside and bursting with flavour inside. These plant-based potstickers are easier to make than you would think!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 18 potstickers 1x
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 thinly sliced onion
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/4 cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 vegan sausage, ground or 1/4 cup ground tofu
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of salt
3-4 tbsp oil (for frying)
1/4 cup water (for steaming)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- To a mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Add water and stir to form a dough (you might want to use your hands!)
- Knead a few times on a lightly floured surface, then form into a ball and cover with a damp dish towel.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add oil, onion, garlic, cabbage, carrot and sausage. Cook 8 minutes or until softened. Add soys sauce, ginger and salt and stir to combine. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Divide the dough in half and starting with the first half, roll out as thin as possible with a rolling pin. Use a large glass or cookie cutter to cut circles in the dough. Repeat with other half. If your circles are not super large, roll each another time with the rolling pin to make thinner and larger.
- Dip fingers in a bowl of water and rub the circumference of the circle with a tiny bit of water. Add 1 heaping tsp or tbsp of filling into the centre, then fold in half and pinch edges.
- Stand it up and pinch the edges the opposite way to ruffle them slightly (see video for demonstration). Repeat for all the circles.
- Heat a large skillet and add 3-4 tbsp oil. Cook potstickers for 3-4 minutes or until browned on the bottom. Add 1/4 cup water and add a lid or sheet pan on top. Steam for 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Remove from pan and plate. Serve with sauce. Enjoy!