Delicate, crispy, golden fritters with bursts of sweet summer corn and herby garlic & basil. An end-of-summer dream if you ask me!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups nondairy milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1–1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (I used 3 ears of corn)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- high heat-safe oil (like avocado oil) for frying
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1/4 tsp dried chipotle chili pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and whisk well to combine.
- Add nondairy milk and vinegar and stir to combine into a batter.
- Add corn, basil, onion and garlic and stir to combine.
- Heat a large frying pan or skillet on medium/high heat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Let oil heat for about 1 minute, until hot. You can add a tiny blob of batter in and if it starts sizzling right away, it’s hot enough.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop dollops of batter into the pan. Space them apart slightly to leave space for them to spread a bit.
- Fry about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown. Decrease heat slightly in between batches so it doesn’t get too hot and burn the second batch.
- Place on a wire cooling rack with paper towel or a pan below to let the excess oil drain. Let cool slightly while you make the aioli.
- In a small bowl, mix together all aioli ingredients until combined.
- Serve with fritters as a delicious dip. Enjoy!