This pasta is so creamy you would never know there is a ton of zucchini packed into it! Zucchini is one of my favourite summer ingredients and this pasta should definitely be on your “gotta make this” list, but if you’re looking for sweeter ways to use it, check out my zucchini brownies and chocolate chip zucchini bread!
This recipe starts by cooking the shallots and zucchini in some vegan butter (essential for extra-creamy buttery flavour), but then it gets mashed so the volume of zucchini is less detectable- perfect for picky eaters!Print
Creamy Zucchini Skillet Pasta
A creamy zucchini pasta bake with spicy crispy topping! This buttery, garlicky, creamy penne pasta is a delicious end of summer recipe to use up that zucchini you bought last weekend! This recipe uses a skillet, see notes below for alternative!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2-3 servings 1x
1 tbsp vegan butter
2 zucchini, chopped
1 shallot, finely sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
2 cups dry penne pasta
1 cup cashews
3/4 cups water
2 cloves garlic
Generous pinch of salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Spicy Crispy Topping:
1/3 cup ground nuts (I used almonds and hazelnuts) or Panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp chili flakes
- In a skillet on medium/high heat, add vegan butter, shallots and zucchini and cook about 10 minutes, until zucchini is softened, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pot on the stove according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water. Drain the rest and set aside.
- To make the sauce, in a high speed blender or food processor, add all sauce ingredients and blend for 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Preheat oven to Broil at 450 F.
- Reduce skillet heat to low/medium and add the pasta water. Mash the zucchini lightly with a masher (mash completely if you have really picky eaters). I like to leave some chunks of zucchini whole for heartiness. Add the cooked pasta and sauce and stir to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the crispy spicy topping ingredients and mix to combine. Evenly sprinkle over pasta.
- Place in the oven and broil for about 5 minutes, until topping is golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before topping with basil and serving.
This recipe uses an oven-safe skillet that can be used stove top and then put in the oven at high temperatures. If you don’t have one, simply make the recipe in a frying pan, then transfer to a casserole dish to bake.