A creamy zucchini pasta bake with spicy crispy topping! This buttery, garlicky, creamy penne pasta is a delicious end of summer recipe to use up that zucchini you bought last weekend! This recipe uses a skillet, see notes below for alternative!
1 tbsp vegan butter
2 zucchini, chopped
1 shallot, finely sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
2 cups dry penne pasta
1 cup cashews
3/4 cups water
2 cloves garlic
Generous pinch of salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Spicy Crispy Topping:
1/3 cup ground nuts (I used almonds and hazelnuts) or Panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp chili flakes
- In a skillet on medium/high heat, add vegan butter, shallots and zucchini and cook about 10 minutes, until zucchini is softened, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pot on the stove according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water. Drain the rest and set aside.
- To make the sauce, in a high speed blender or food processor, add all sauce ingredients and blend for 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Preheat oven to Broil at 450 F.
- Reduce skillet heat to low/medium and add the pasta water. Mash the zucchini lightly with a masher (mash completely if you have really picky eaters). I like to leave some chunks of zucchini whole for heartiness. Add the cooked pasta and sauce and stir to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the crispy spicy topping ingredients and mix to combine. Evenly sprinkle over pasta.
- Place in the oven and broil for about 5 minutes, until topping is golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before topping with basil and serving.
This recipe uses an oven-safe skillet that can be used stove top and then put in the oven at high temperatures. If you don’t have one, simply make the recipe in a frying pan, then transfer to a casserole dish to bake.