Quesadillas are such a delicious food, but I often shy away from making them because they tend to be a bit messy to cook! This recipe, however, is so quick and easy to prepare. I love using a sheet pan for quesadillas because it keeps everything contained and there’s no flipping required!
- 1 tbsp avocado or vegetable oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 12 oz. vegan ground beef or 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- optional: 2 tbsp salsa
- 2 cups vegan cheese shreds
- 8 large corn or flour tortillas, divided
Avocado Lime Cream
- 1 avocado, halved
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
optional: salsa, for serving.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a quarter-size baking sheet (approx 9 x 13) with parchment paper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, corn, vegan beef and onion; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion becomes translucent. Add the chili powder, salt and pepper and salsa (if using) and cook another 2 minutes.
- Place one tortilla in the middle of the prepared baking sheet. Place 6 of the tortillas around the edges of the baking sheet with half of each hanging over the side (1 on each end of the sheet pan and 2 per long side of the sheet pan). Evenly top with 1 cup of vegan cheese, followed by the beef mixture, then the remaining cheese.
- Place the last tortilla in the center of the pan, then fold each tortilla in towards the center, covering all the filling, and brush the top with oil.
- Place a second baking sheet top and press down slightly. Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine all avocado cream ingredients and blend until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Remove quesadilla from the oven, remove the top pan and slide quesadilla onto a large cutting board. Slice into 8 pieces. Serve with avocado cream and salsa.