This might be one of the best desserts I have ever made…
Not kidding!!! Syrupy vanilla bourbon peaches are covered with a cinnamon crisp topping AND a fluffy biscuit topping. Woah. A lot going on here. Its sweet, cinnamon-y, and so rich in flavour thanks to some bourbon, vanilla and vegan butter. You better believe I topped it with a scoop of vanilla coconut milk ice cream because how could you not?!
Food bloggers are always so PUMPED about their recipes, but I swear this one totally deserves it. I got the Inspo from Half Baked Harvest. She made a recipe from Abby Fisher’s What Mrs.Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking. One of the things that sets her cobbler apart is that she uses biscuit topping AND and oat-based topping. Which, you know I had to try out for myself! Of course her recipe is not vegan (totally fine, I take Inso from non-vegan recipes ALL the time!) so I used the general idea as inspiration, borrowed the biscuit topping recipe from my own cookbook, and this recipe was born.Print
Vanilla Bourbon Double-Topped Peach Cobbler
Syrupy vanilla bourbon peaches covered in a cinnamon crisp topping AND fluffy biscuit topping.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
Vanilla Bourbon Peaches:
- 6 cups sliced ripe peaches, skin on
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp bourbon (or whisky)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Cinnamon Crisp Topping:
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
Fluffy Biscuit Topping:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3 tbsp butter, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
2 L casserole dish
Vanilla vegan ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the vanilla bourbon peach ingredients and stir well to coat. Pour into casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together oats, flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add vegan butter and use a fork to mash it in until the mixture is crumbly. Shake in an even layer over peaches.
- Back into the same bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cane sugar and salt until combined. Add vegan butter and use a fork or pastry blender to cut it into the flour mixture, until mixture is crumbly and somewhat resembles wet sand.
- Add nondairy milk and stir until just combined.
- Use a teaspoon to spoon dollops all over the crisp. Its okay to leave bare patches, it won’t cover it entirely.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until topping is golden and peach syrup is slightly bubbling up the sides. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.