These giant bakery-style chocolate chip pumpkin butter cookies are everything. Huge, chewy, crisp on the edges and full of fall flavour. For size reference, I usually fit rows of 4 cookies on this cooling rack, and only 2 of these fit (so that shows you how big they are!)
So let’s talk about pumpkin butter for a second. It’s like a thicker, less moist, sweeter, spicier way to cook with canned pumpkin. Canned pumpkin contains a ton of moisture which can make baked goods cakey – a no-go for cookies in my opinion! You can easily make pumpkin butter at home in a crock pot or on the stove. Check out this recipe or just go on Pinterest to find a different recipe because there are tons! You can use it for baking, spreading on baked goods or even toast, and so much more!
Its an extra step to make the pumpkin butter but it is worth it! If you choose not to make the butter and just use canned pumpkin, add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to the batter :). Enjoy!
GIANT chewy bakery-style pumpkin butter chocolate chip cookies. The best fall treat ever!
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine or softened vegan butter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin butter or canned pumpkin (see notes on this above)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fancy molasses
- 3 tbsp non-dairy milk (like almond, oat or soy)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt (about 1/4 tsp)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together vegan margarine, pumpkin butter and brown sugar. Add almond milk, molasses and vanilla and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry mixture to wet in two parts, stirring to form a dough. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Lightly pack dough into 1/3 cup measuring cup, then roll into a ball and flatten into a cookie shape with your hands. Place on baking sheet. Repeat for remaining dough. Spade a few inches apart to leave room for spreading. Bake 13-14 minutes, until starting to brown on top. Bake an extra minute or two if you like super crispy edges.
- Let cool on pan until almost completely cool before removing and transferring to a wire rack.