A spinach salad with squash, dried cranberry and a spiced maple dressing. Topped with vegan “chicken”.
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 2 tbsp oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup pea shoots or 1 cup greens of your choice
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
Spiced Maple Dijon Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast OR chickpea flour
- 1 cup vegan “chicken” flavour broth + 3 cups vegan chicken flavour broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast. Add 1 cup vegan chicken style broth and stir to combine into a spongey dough. Pour the rest of the broth into the instant pot *see note for if you don’t have an instant pot. Break the dough into 6 pieces and place into the pot. Cook on manual/high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Place squash on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and salt and pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, combine all purpose flour, paprika and salt and pepper. Once chicken is finished, remove from instant pot with a slotted spoon and coat with the flour mixture.
- Remove squash from the oven, push to one side and place seitan on the pan. Drizzle with oil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip and bake another 10 minutes until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Remove pan from oven and let squash cool. Slice chicken.
- In a large bowl, add the greens, sunflower seeds, cranberries, green onion, squash and dressing and toss to combine. Serve onto plates and top with the chicken slices.
- *Boil seitan on the stove for 45 minutes if you don’t have an instant pot.