Hi everyone! Today I have a super fun recipe for you all. I have loved shepherd’s pie for as long as I can remember. It really was a staple in our household growing up! When we went vegan, my mom developed a delicious lentil, mushroom and vegan beef shepherd’s pie recipe. It’s a go-to for sure, but sometimes, you gotta switch it up!
I wanted to make a more unique twist on vegan shepherd’s pie, and that’s how we landed on this! Vegan beef cooked with onions, spices and a few extra ingredients to make it saucy, a layer of melty vegan cheese, and of course, fluffy mashed potatoes!
Its such a simple recipe I can’t believe I hadn’t tried it sooner. I know you’re going to love this one!Print
Cheeseburger Shepherd’s Pie
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
*Note: I used 2 medium size ramekins for this but a small casserole dish also works!
A twist on shepherd’s pie – vegan cheeseburger style!
- 2 cups peeled and cubed white potatoes
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk or nondairy milk of choice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1–2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 227g vegan beef (I used two Lightlife hamburger patties)
- 1/2 tsp EACH of smoked paprika, oregano and black pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste or ketchup
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add potatoes to a medium pot and add water until just covered. Boil on high about 10 minutes until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain and mash potatoes with a masher or electric mixer. Add coconut milk and a pinch of salt and stir until creamy. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan on medium heat, add the oil, shallots and garlic and cook 3 minutes until onions start to become translucent. Add the vegan beef and cook until browned, crumbling it if it is not already.
- Add the spices, tomato paste and 2 tbsp coconut milk. Stir to combine and cook another 2 minutes until hot.
- Divide filling mixture between two medium ramekins. Top each with 1/4 cup vegan cheese shreds. Add dollops of mashed potato on top and press down lightly. Sprinkle paprika and black pepper overtop if desired.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until cheese is melted underneath and potato tops are starting to brown. If you want the top layer of potato to be crispy, broil for 3 minutes at the end.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
These look delish!
Where did you get your ramekins? I can only ever find super tiny ones!
Shepherds pie is made with lamb. This cottage pie.
I’d just like to say that I am HERE for these recipes!! Soooooo good!!
HIIII! Tell Bone and Bailey I say hi too.