Happy Monday! Hope you are all having a good start to the week and hanging in there. We just got home from the vet. Our dog, Willa, has been having a rough year. She needs surgery to reattach a ligament in her knee, but she also developed an infection on her other foot which needs antibiotics, soaking in salt water and probiotic supplements for 2 weeks. In other words, we’re having a really fun start to the week ;).
Which brings me to this recipe. Because, on days when its pouring rain, also a Monday, during a state of emergency due to Covid-19… you kiiiiinda need some good food. Even though I’m vegan, I always crave buffalo chicken as my comfort food of choice. The vegan butcher shop here in Halifax, Real Fake Meats, makes the BEST buffalo wings. But guess what?! I also make a great seitan buffalo chicken. And I’m always trying to find new fun ways to incorporate buffalo chick’n into recipes.
So, about these quesadilla pockets.
If you remember my sheet pan quesadilla recipe, you’ll know I was discussing how I wanted to create a ton of flavour variations because the recipe is so. dang. good. Well, here is the first variation! Spicy seitan chick’n with onions, wrapped into triangle tortilla pockets, each cut into four triangle pieces and dipped in cashew ranch. It truly is a match made in heaven! You need to ranch to offset the spiciness of the chick’n, trust me. Instead of baking it in one giant piece on the sheet pan, we are making two triangle pockets. Same amount of servings, different shape. SO GOOD!Print
Buffalo Chick’n Quesadilla Pockets with Cashew Ranch
- Yield: 8 pieces
Vegan buffalo chick’n quesadilla pockets with a ranch-style dipping sauce.
- 1 recipe seitan chick’n (without breading) or 3 cups chopped vegan chicken
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup Franks red hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups vegan cheese shreds
- 1 cup raw cashews + 1/2 cup water (use raw sunflower seeds if allergic)
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- Prepare the seitan chick’n through step 3. You don’t need to do the breading and frying for this recipe. Simply drain the seitan and then finely chop or crumble it.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a large frying pan on medium heat, add vegan butter, seitan and onion and fry 5 minutes, until onion softens. Add hot sauce, garlic powder and vinegar and stir to combine. Cook another 5 minuets until sauce thickens and coats the seitan.
- Place 3 tortillas on the sheet pan, like in the photo below. They should be overlapping quite a bit, and make an upside down triangle in the middle. The photo will help you see what I mean!
- Add a layer of about 1/2 cup of vegan cheese shreds in a triangle shape. Add a layer of the chick’n mixture. Then add another 1/2 cup vegan cheese. Fold each tortilla in to make a triangle (again, the photo will help). Repeat with the remaining tortillas and cheese/seitan mixture.
- Place another sheet pan on top and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the top pan and bake for 5 extra minutes, until browned on top.
- Meanwhile, in a high speed blender, blend all ranch ingredients except for the green onion, until smooth. Pour into a serving dish, add the green onion and stir to combine.
- Let quesadilla pockets cool 10 minutes before slicing into 4 triangles each. Serve.
Love this recipe! These weren’t at all difficult to make and so delicious. Only had to improvise with the sauce because the one mentioned isn’t available where I live – mixed spice salsa with extra hot sauce and turned out great. Even got a ‘would have never known this is vegan if i didn’t know you made this’. Thank you for sharing Liv <3