A vegan espresso martini with homemade vanilla simple syrup.
Vanilla Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 double shots of espresso
- 2 shots vodka
- 2 shots vanilla simple syrup
- handful of ice
- 6 coffee beans, for garnish (optional)
- In a small pot on medium heat, add the sugar, water and vanilla and bring to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool- it will thicken a bit more as it cools.
- Brew 2 double shots of espresso, or about 1/3 cup of very strong coffee.
- To a cocktail shaker or large mason jar, add the ice, coffee, vodka and syrup. I use a single shot glass (1 ounce) to measure the alcohol and syrup.
- Shake vigorously for about 1 minute until nice and cold. Strain into two martini glasses. Top with a few coffee beans, for garnish. Serve immediately.