I want to preface this recipe by saying, this ingredient list in uncharacteristically long for me. HOWEVER, I promise this recipe could not be easier! You need all those good spices and ingredients to add flavour to the jackfruit, and most of the cooking time is hands off, simmering-type business. Okay. Let’s move on.
Don’t be afraid to cook with jackfruit!
This stew is perfection. Seriously- who knew jackfruit could be so dang delicious? Well, everyone actually. But I was always afraid it would be too much work to learn how to use it properly. Experimenting with canned jackfruit is a relatively new experience for me. Tbh, it always seemed too daunting to do it “from scratch” so I usually just bought pre-packaged, flavoured jackfruit. We used it on pizza and that was the extent of my experimentation. The only other time I ate jackfruit was at restaurants.
UNTIL NOW. I promise canned jackfruit isn’t scary. Especially the Cha’s brand. I got it from my local bulk food store but hopefully you can find it where you are too! The technical name is young jackfruit, and it came in a brine. I just drained and rinsed it, and then shredded it with my hands. Its crazy how much it looks like chicken when its shredded!
And guys? The sauce is amazing. Spicy, BBQ-esque beer sauce, which the veggies simmered in a for a while. Then you serve it over the best mashed potatoes ever and… its. so. good!Print
Spicy Beer Braised Jackfruit Stew & Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings
Comfort food at its finest- a spicy, beer-braised jackfruit stew over cheesy mashed potatoes.
Spicy Beer-Braised Jackfruit Stew:
- 2 cans (400 mL each) Cha’s young jackfruit, drained, rinsed and pulled/shredded
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 cup beer of choice (not fruity or too strongly flavoured)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups vegan beef broth or veggie broth
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 lb yellow potatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegan cream or coconut milk
- 1/3 cup vegan cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan or a pot on medium heat, add the oil, onion, garlic, carrot and cauliflower and cook 5 minutes, until veggies start to soften. Add the jackfruit and cook 3 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the spices and stir to coat. Add the ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, beer, balsamic vinegar and 2 cups of broth. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to simmer on low for 30 minutes. Add more broth as needed, I ended up needing the whole 3 cups.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, add potatoes and water until potatoes are just covered with the water. Boil the potatoes on high for about 10 minutes, until fork-tender. Drain and add back to pot. Use a potato masher to mash. Add vegan cream, cream cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir/mash until smooth and creamy.
- Serve stew over mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
I just made this tonight and it was so delicious!
The recipe doesn’t specify what size can of jackfruit.