Hi! Happy Wednesday! I am SO EXCITED to be sharing this recipe. It was kind of an accident, but in the BEST way. I didn’t expect these to turn out THIS good. Truly…
these. are. the. best. thing. ever. I mean, if you like chocolate. I set out to make some crunchy cereal cookie bars with a caramel layer and dip them in chocolate. But that’s so much work, and this caramel doesn’t firm up as well in the fridge (and after a few days would be kind of liquid on top of the bars due to the moisture). SO, I decided to swirl the caramel with the melted chocolate on top so that it would help the caramel harden. And let me tell you, it firms up to the PERFECT chewy caramel texture. I was blown away by how good these are!!!
They remind me of a vegan Twix bar. Caramel, chocolate and cookie bottom layer. Perfect for the holidays, halloween, or just any old regular Wednesday. Trust me, you’re going to want these asap!
Also, this makes a big batch but they kept well in the fridge for 7-8 days. Greg and I were the only ones eating them, but if you have more than 2 people in your household, expect them to disappear pretty quickly.
And yeah, for once, I didn’t share these with friends and family… we kept them all for ourselves haha!!Print
Chocolate Caramel Crunch Cookie Bars
- Total Time: 2 hours including chilling time
- Yield: 24 bars
Reminiscent of Twix, these chocolate caramel crunch cookie bars will steal the show on any occasion!
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 vegan eggs (*see note)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups cornflakes cereal (or special K)
Chocolate Caramel Swirl Layer:
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, room temp, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup vegan cream or full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Rice Krispie cereal or more cornflakes
- Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Make the cookie base: In a mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine the vegan butter, brown sugar and cane sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the vegan “eggs” and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix to form a dough. Stir in chocolate chips and cornflakes.
- Press into prepared baking pan in an even layer. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel: in a small pot on the stove, add the sugar and heat on medium/high, stirring frequently, until sugar is melted and brown. Don’t let it get too hot or it can burn! It will take about 8 minutes to full melt, with you stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, then slowly add chunks of vegan butter, whisking constantly, until combined. Slowly add the cream, carefully, as it can cause it to sputter and splatter. Stir constantly and quickly until combined. Once it is a smooth caramel consistency, add the vanilla and salt. Set aside.
- Remove cookie bars from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Pour the caramel overtop, then add the chocolate chips and let them melt, swirling together the caramel and chocolate. Sprinkle the Rice Krispies evenly overtop and swirl slightly to combine.
- Refrigerate or freeze immediately until cool. The chocolate caramel layer will be firm but chewy. Slice into 12 thin strips, then in half lengthwise, making 24 bars. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days. Enjoy!
For 2 flax eggs: 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water. Mix together and let sit 5 mins.
For 2 powdered eggs: follow instructions on package. I like Bob’s Red Mill powdered egg replacer.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins