Reminiscent of Twix, these chocolate caramel crunch cookie bars will steal the show on any occasion!
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 vegan eggs (*see note)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups cornflakes cereal (or special K)
Chocolate Caramel Swirl Layer:
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, room temp, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup vegan cream or full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Rice Krispie cereal or more cornflakes
- Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Make the cookie base: In a mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine the vegan butter, brown sugar and cane sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the vegan “eggs” and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix to form a dough. Stir in chocolate chips and cornflakes.
- Press into prepared baking pan in an even layer. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel: in a small pot on the stove, add the sugar and heat on medium/high, stirring frequently, until sugar is melted and brown. Don’t let it get too hot or it can burn! It will take about 8 minutes to full melt, with you stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, then slowly add chunks of vegan butter, whisking constantly, until combined. Slowly add the cream, carefully, as it can cause it to sputter and splatter. Stir constantly and quickly until combined. Once it is a smooth caramel consistency, add the vanilla and salt. Set aside.
- Remove cookie bars from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Pour the caramel overtop, then add the chocolate chips and let them melt, swirling together the caramel and chocolate. Sprinkle the Rice Krispies evenly overtop and swirl slightly to combine.
- Refrigerate or freeze immediately until cool. The chocolate caramel layer will be firm but chewy. Slice into 12 thin strips, then in half lengthwise, making 24 bars. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days. Enjoy!
For 2 flax eggs: 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water. Mix together and let sit 5 mins.
For 2 powdered eggs: follow instructions on package. I like Bob’s Red Mill powdered egg replacer.