Looking for some weekend brunch inspo? Why not try this amazing vegan eggnog french toast, only made with a few ingredients! It is great served with maple syrup OR this maple caramel sauce. *heart eyes*
Holiday brunch awaits…
I’m thinking this would be a great Christmas morning breakfast recipe. Did you have to wait to open presents after eating as kids? My parents always made us have a little something before, and then we would make a big yummy breakfast afterwards! I will probably do the same when I have kids of my own. I remember not even being able to think about breakfast because I was too excited, waiting to see if I would be getting the Nintendogs game I wanted to bad, hahaha!
Those were the days. I actually remember my first virtual dog on that game, a little yorkie named Ollie. I’m laughing at how much I cared about that thing back then! It was literally the ONLY reason I had a Nintendo DS. Didn’t play any other games whatsoever. And now I have 2 real dogs. Ah, if only 8 year old Olivia could see me now.
Okay, onto the recipe! The french toast itself is crazy easy, and the caramel is also only a few ingredients so you can definitely whip this up the morning of!Print
Eggnog French Toast with Maple Caramel
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
Vegan eggnog french toast with a silky maple caramel sauce to drizzle (or douse).
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, room temp
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, room temp
- 3 tsp vegan cream or full-fat coconut milk
Eggnog French Toast:
- 1 cup vegan holiday nog
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 slices sturdy, slightly stale bread
- vegan butter for frying
- Make the maple caramel: In a small pan on the stove, add the cane sugar and heat on medium/high heat, stirring frequently, until dissolved. It will turn crumbly, then start to brown, and then become liquid.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add the maple syrup, whisking carefully to combine. Add the vegan butter and cream, whisking to combine each into a silky caramel sauce. Place back on burner (turned off) to keep warm.
- Make the batter: in a shallow bowl, add the nog and cinnamon and whisk to combine.
- Make the french toast: heat a large frying pan on medium heat. Once hot, add some vegan butter. Dip a slice of bread in the batter, letting the excess drip off. Cook in the frying pan about 5 minutes per side, or until a golden crust forms. Don’t try to move it too soon or it will be stuck and make a mess!
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of maple caramel. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
The how-to video: