Vegan eggnog french toast with a silky maple caramel sauce to drizzle (or douse).
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, room temp
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, room temp
- 3 tsp vegan cream or full-fat coconut milk
Eggnog French Toast:
- 1 cup vegan holiday nog
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 slices sturdy, slightly stale bread
- vegan butter for frying
- Make the maple caramel: In a small pan on the stove, add the cane sugar and heat on medium/high heat, stirring frequently, until dissolved. It will turn crumbly, then start to brown, and then become liquid.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add the maple syrup, whisking carefully to combine. Add the vegan butter and cream, whisking to combine each into a silky caramel sauce. Place back on burner (turned off) to keep warm.
- Make the batter: in a shallow bowl, add the nog and cinnamon and whisk to combine.
- Make the french toast: heat a large frying pan on medium heat. Once hot, add some vegan butter. Dip a slice of bread in the batter, letting the excess drip off. Cook in the frying pan about 5 minutes per side, or until a golden crust forms. Don’t try to move it too soon or it will be stuck and make a mess!
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of maple caramel. Enjoy!