The best-ever Maple Brown Sugar Skillet Cornbread. I really think we are all in need of a cozy comforting cornbread recipe right now. This recipe is special because its made in a skillet with brown sugar AND maple syrup. And want to know a secret? Its amazing with vegan butter and more maple syrup drizzled overtop, fresh out of the oven. Its like of like a giant cornbread pancake. And its SO GOOD. I promise you will LOVE this vegan Maple Brown Sugar Skillet Cornbread!
My original vegan cornbread recipe is a classic here on itslivb.com. But this holiday season I have been looking to elevate the classics and make them even cozier, and to be honest, easier. Baking this cornbread in a skillet is super easy and looks fantastic. I used an 11 inch cast iron skillet, and this one is actually from the thrift store! I found a video that showed how to refinish and season an old rusty cast iron pan and it worked perfectly! I just greased it before pouring in the batter and didn’t even need parchment paper! Talk about easy.
You can also bake this cornbread in a baking dish if you don’t have a skillet, but the skillet just makes it so much fun. And round! Truly like a delicious, sweet, cornbread pancake.
The base of the cornbread is cornmeal and flour. I use a more rustic cornmeal by Bob’s Red Mill that has some husk & kernel pieces, but the regular fine cornmeal works too! Doing a mix of cornmeal and flour is key because it keeps it together while still getting that amazing colour and flavour.
We have vegan “buttermilk” made with nondairy milk & vinegar, plant-based butter (I use Becel Sticks) an egg replacer (Bob’s Red Mill or a flax egg, see note in recipe) and then of course the brown sugar and maple syrup. Pretty much all pantry staples if you keep a well-stocked baking cupboard like I do! Otherwise all of those things are pretty easy to find at your local grocery store.
Looking for more sides?
I love a good side like anyone else and to be honest, my go-to “bread” would usually be corn bread! I just love it so much! But check out these other vegan side recipes too!
Fluffy Dinner Rolls with Maple Butter
The Original Cornbread with Gluten-Free Option
Last but not least before we get into the good stuff, if you make this Maple Brown Sugar Skillet Cornbread, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a star rating! I love to hear when you all are enjoying the recipes! Its my fav! And if you have time to snap a pic, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!Print
Maple Brown Sugar Skillet Cornbread
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: serves 8
Fluffy vegan cornbread with maple syrup and brown sugar, baked to golden perfection in a cast iron skillet.
- 1 cup non-dairy milk + 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour (or buckwheat flour if you’re gluten-free)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- 1 egg replacer “egg” (or flax egg, see note)
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C. Grease an 11 inch cast iron skillet or 8×8 baking dish. Or line with parchment paper.
- Stir together the non-dairy milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, brown sugar and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Add melted vegan butter, maple syrup, vegan egg, and non-dairy milk mixture. Stir until it becomes a batter.
- Pour into prepared skillet or pan. Bake for 16-18 minutes (for cast iron skillet) or 18-20 mins (for baking dish) until golden on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, then slice and enjoy with extra vegan butter and maple syrup!
Powdered egg replacer normally has the instructions for 1 egg on the package. Typically it is 1 tsp to 1 tbsp powder, plus water. Then you let it sit for 5 mins. You could also try a flax egg by mixing 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp water but I have not tried this myself!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins