Homemade vegan steak, cheese sauce and onion, stuffed into a sub bun. Messy, and oh-so-perfect.
- 2 tbsp oil for frying
- 1 batch homemade vegan steak
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp steak spice (you can make your own or use store-bought)
- salt and pepper to taste
- (2) 6-inch sub buns, sliced lengthwise, buttered if desired
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds
- salt and pepper
- Slice the steaks as thin as possible with a sharp knife.
- To a frying pan on medium heat, add the oil, onion, steak, steak spice, and salt and pepper. Fry until onion is translucent and steak of browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot on medium heat, add the butter and nondairy milk and heat until warm. Add the cheese shreds, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and stir or whisk until melted. Leave on low heat to keep warm.
- If you want toasted buns, place them cut side up on a sheet pan and broil in the oven for a few minutes until golden.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Enjoy!