One pan. No extra dishes. No boiling. Put it in the pan, put the pan in the oven and walk away!
- 4 cups (375g approx) dry penne, macaroni, fusilli or other small shape pasta
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups nondairy milk
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, small cubes
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, for extra cheesy flavour)
- 1 cup cubed vegan cheddar cheese
- 2 cups vegan shredded cheese
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup cornflakes, crushed OR 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a 9×9 square casserole dish (or something similar, can be round too!) add the pasta, onion, garlic, water, nondairy milk, vegan butter, nutritional yeast, and cubed cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add vegan shredded cheese on top. Grease a piece of tinfoil and place it greased-side-down over the casserole and cover tightly.
- Bake 50 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove the foil and stir casserole to incorporate the cheese and make sure nothing was clumped together. Place the foil back on top and bake another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small frying pan on medium heat, add the butter and let it melt. Add the cornflakes, paprika and salt and pepper. Fry, stirring frequently, until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside.
- Remove the casserole from the over and remove the foil. Sprinkle the bread crumbs overtop. Broil, uncovered, until browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven. Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!