Chocolate lava cakes: chewy cake edges, molten fudge center.
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, divided (see instructions below)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, melted or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper (this is just to catch any spills from the ramekins, for easy clean up.) Grease 2 large ramekins and set aside. The size I use is about 1 1/4 cups volume, and 6 inches in diameter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup white sugar, flour, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- Add the nondairy milk, melted butter and vanilla. Stir to combine into a batter. Divide evenly between the ramekins and spread with a spoon so its an even layer.
- In a small bowl, add remaining 2 tbsp white sugar, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tbsp brown sugar and stir until combined. Divide between ramekins, sprinkling in an even layer overtop.
- Add 1/4 cup of the hot water onto each cake. DO NOT STIR. Place on prepared sheet pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, until top is set.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 15 minutes before serving. Serve with strawberries and coconut ice cream!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes