Crispy pan-fried black pepper oyster mushrooms with a spicy BBQ ketchup dipping sauce!
- 200 g oyster mushrooms, shredded by hand (just pull them apart- its easy!)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp oil for frying
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
Spicy BBQ Ketchup:
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp hot sauce, such as Franks
- In a shallow flat bowl, add the flour, nutritional yeast, salt, paprika and black pepper. Whisk to combine. To a small bowl, add the nondairy milk. Line a plate with a few layers of paper towel. Set aside.
- Place a medium/large frying pan on medium heat. Add the oil and heat until the oil is hot and shimmering, about 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Working in batches, dip some pieces of oyster mushroom in the nondairy milk, then into the flour mixture, tossing to coat. Shake off excess, then immediately add to the frying pan. Repeat with remaining mushrooms.
- Fry about 8 minutes total, flipping every few minutes to ensure even browning. If you see any starting to burn, remove them or lower the heat slightly.
- Once fried, place on the plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together BBQ ketchup ingredients until combined.
- Serve immediately with the sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes