Comforting, hearty, smoky, vegan bean-free chilli!
- 1 vegan sausage (I use Beyond Meat)
- 2 vegan burger patties (I use Beyond Meat)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 28 oz (796 mL) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large pot on low-medium heat, add the vegan sausage and beef and cook about 5 minutes, crumbling it as it browns. If you is pre-cooked, simply add to the pot and proceed to step 2.
- Add oil, onion, garlic, and carrot and cook a few minutes until onion becomes translucent and carrots soften slightly.
- Add the tomatoes, lentils, broth, chilli powder, chipotle, cumin, smoked paprika and salt and stir to combine.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes until lentils are tender. Uncover and simmer a few more minutes until thickened.
- Serve immediately, or allow to cool completely and store in airtight containers up to 5 days or freeze up to 3 months.