We’re taking mashed potatoes to a whole new level today with this Loaded Potato Casserole! You know those crazy loaded baked potatoes you see on Pinterest that are fluffy, often twice-baked and stuffed with bacon and cheese? I wanted to recreate that same idea but casserole style! This might just be my new favourite way to eat mashed potatoes. It would be perfect as a holiday side dish of course, but I also love the idea of enjoying mashed potatoes all winter long! When its cold and all you want is comfort food, I promise this casserole will do the trick and warm you up from the inside out.
This mashed potato casserole combines a few of my favourite things: fluffy potatoes, seitan bacon (from my fav local vegan butcher shop – Real Fake Meats) and a crispy layer of dairy-free cheddar on top! Baked to golden perfection, this casserole is everything you need in a winter or holiday side dish.
Also, its incredibly easy to make! I’m talking “Greg actually made this, not me!” easy. You know when the fiancé steps in to make it, it can’t be too time consuming. Greg isn’t a lazy cook, but he does prefer simple recipes with simple steps. So this was right up his alley! I think he did a great job at making and styling this one, what do you think? Let me know below!
Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
Creamy mashed potatoes, infused with garlic and vegan bacon, topped with a crispy-yet-gooey dairy-free cheddar.
- 5 large potatoes, diced (we left skin on)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- 3/4 cup vegan bacon, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 1/4 cup green onion or chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease an 8×8 inch square casserole dish.
- In a pot, add the diced potato and the add water until just submerged. Boil on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, until soft. Drain and add back into pot. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan on medium heat, add 1 tbsp vegan butter, minced garlic and vegan bacon. Cook, stirring frequently, about 4 minuets until bacon starts to brown.
- Put potato pot back on low heat. Add the 2 tbsp vegan butter, nondairy milk, parsley and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher or hand mixer until fluffy. Add the bacon mixture and stir to combine.
- Spoon into prepared casserole dish and smooth the top. Top with vegan cheddar shreds. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese, if desired.
- Remove from oven and top with green onion and black pepper. Serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes