A hearty, protein-packed vegan soup with lentils, quinoa, and plant-based sausage!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Beyond Meat sausages or other similar vegan sausage, uncooked
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3/4 cup dry brown lentils
- 2/3 cup dry quinoa (I used red quinoa but any colour works)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 4 cups vegan beef broth or veggie broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot on medium heat, add the oil, onion and garlic and fry a few minutes, until onion starts to become translucent.
- Add the vegan sausage and cook, crumbling it as it cooks. If yours is pre-cooked, simply crumble it and add it to the pot to brown.
- Add the carrots, lentils, quinoa, tomato paste, broth, bay leaves, thyme, sage and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are cooked. If it gets too thick, add some water as needed. Once cooked, add the spinach and stir to wilt.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Remove bay leaves, then serve.