Crispy hot “honey” mustard bbq tofu bites!
- 100 g firm tofu, drained and pressed, cut into bite-size triangles
- 1/2 cup corn starch or flour of choice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion pwoder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup of your favourite bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp smooth dijon mustard
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 green onions, sliced, for garnish
- Place a large frying pan on medium heat. Add a few tbsp oil (I did about 4, enough to cover the bottom of the pan).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the corn starch, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add the tofu cubes and toss to coat.
- Add the tofu pieces to the hot pan and fry a few minutes per side, until all sides are golden and crispy, about 15 minutes total.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool a few minutes. In a bowl, stir together the bbq sauce, brown sugar, dijon and chilli flakes until combined.
- Pour sauce over tofu and stir to coat. Place back on the stove on low heat, being careful not to let it get too hot or it will burn quickly due to the sugar.
- Serve with green onion, if desired. I like to serve this with potato wedges, on top of a salad, in a wrap or as an app on its own!