Dairy-free grilled cheese with lightly sautéed apple slices, cooked in a buttery garlic and rosemary infused skillet until golden and melty.
- 2 slices sourdough bread (I use the kind from a round loaf so they are long and skinny)
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine or soft vegan butter for buttering the bread
- 1/2 honey crisp or gala apple, finely sliced
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 2 springs of rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic, halved
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, for frying
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Set aside.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add the vegan butter. Once sizzling, add the rosemary and garlic and fry a few minutes until starting to brown. Add the apple slices and cook about 1 minute, until just starting to soften.
- Remove the apples from the pan and reduce heat to low-medium. Place the shredded cheese and apples between the unbuttered sides of the bed. Then place the sandwich in the pan.
- Fry sandwich until golden brown, then flip and fry until golden brown on the other side. I like to cover my pan with a lid or sheet pan so the cheese melts easier while the sandwich cooks.
- Once golden on both sides and cheese is melted, remove from the heat and enjoy!