Homemade seitan chick’n and mushrooms, coated in a Bbq “honey” mustard sauce, with kale caesar and vegan cheese.
Chick’n & Mushrooms:
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 cup vegan chicken flavoured broth + 3 cups vegan chicken flavoured broth (for boiling)
- 2 king oyster mushrooms, shredded into thin pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
Bbq “Honey” Mustard Sauce:
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup yellow or dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar
- 4 large tortillas
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1/2 cup vegan caesar dressing (I have two different recipes for caesar dressing in my cookbooks!)
- 1/2 cup vegan shredded cheese
- Whisk together vital wheat gluten and chickpea flour until combined. Add 1 cup broth and stir until it forms a dough ball. Knead a few times with your hands until dough has no dry spots.
- Add 3 cups of broth to an instant pot pressure cooker (see notes for stove top version). Rip off chunks of seitan and add to pot. Cook on “manual” for 15 minutes. Once it is done, quick release steam.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together bbq sauce ingredients. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine kale with the caesar dressing and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Once cooked, drain seitan and chop into thin strips or small chunks.
- Place a large frying pan on medium heat and add the oil. Add the seitan and mushrooms and cook about 10 minutes, until seitan is lightly browned. Add the sauce and stir to coat.
- Assemble the wraps: divide the kale mixture between wraps. Add 2 tbsp vegan cheese to each. Add some of the chick’n mixture. Wrap up tightly like a burrito and enjoy.
- Store leftover chick’n in and air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Stove top method: rip off chunks of seitan and place in a large pot with 3 cups broth. Boil approx 45 minutes, until seitan chunks have expanded considerably and are firm to the touch.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes