These Crispy Coconut Cauliflower Cutlets with spicy Almond Sauce are my new favourite way to eat cauliflower! Crispy, golden, pan-fried cauliflower in a cornflake and coconut coating, topped with fresh basil and dipped in a spicy, creamy almond butter sauce. It’s the perfect mix of crispy, salty, coconutty, sweet and spicy goodness!This recipe was inspired by this method for making cauliflower steaks!
You start by slicing the cauliflower crosswise into “steaks”, and then breaking each of of those in half to make smaller “cutlet” shapes. Then, simply dip it in nondairy milk OR a vegan egg mixture (I use powdered egg replacer whisked together with water), and then dip it in the coating. The coating is a mix of cornflake crumbs, which you can either make yourself or buy at the grocery store (breadcrumbs work too), shredded unsweetened coconut, spices, salt and pepper. Once it’s coated, into the frying pan it goes to be cooked to sizzling golden perfection.
You don’t need to cook the cauliflower before pan-frying, it actually Cookes perfectly while it fries! I also wanted to keep this a super easy pan-fry recipe vs deep frying. To be honest I don’t really deep fry anything! I’m kind of scared to try haha. While the cauliflower cooks, simply whisk together the sauce. So easy! Then, everything is done at the same time.
I love to serve these coconut cauliflower cutlets in a big serving dish, to-pped with a sprinkle of shredded coconut, fresh basil leaves and a bowl of sauce. Its the perfect hearty appetizer, side dish or even main dish, served alongside some fried rice or simple noodles.Print
Crispy Coconut Cauliflower Cutlets with Spicy Almond Sauce
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 cauliflower cutlets
Crispy cornflake and coconut-crusted cauliflower, pan-fried until golden and served with a creamy, spicy almond sauce.
Crispy Coconut Cauliflower:
- 4 cauliflower “steaks” aka 1 inch cross section slices, cut in half each to make 8 cutlets
- 2 tbsp powdered egg replacer + 1/2 cup water (OR 1/2 cup nondairy milk)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornflake crumbs or Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- oil for frying
Spicy Almond Sauce:
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter or other nut/seed butter
- 2 tbsp coconut milk or other nondairy milk
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
optional, for garnish: fresh basil leaves and additional shredded coconut
- In a shallow mixing bowl, combine the powdered egg replacer and water and whisk to combine. (If using only nondairy milk, just put that in a shallow bowl).
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornflake crumbs, coconut, paprika, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Heat a large frying pan to medium heat and add enough oil to just coat the bottom of the pan.
- Dip a cauliflower cutlet in the powdered egg mixture to coat it, letting any excess drip off. Immediately put into the flour mixture, ensuring all sides are coated.
- Place in hot oil in frying pan. Repeat with remaining cauliflower.
- Fry about 6-8 minutes per side, until golden and crispy, and the cauliflower is fork-tender (meaning if you stick a fork into it, it goes in and comes out easily with minimal resistance. Transfer all cauliflower to a wire cooling rack or plate lined with paper towel to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together all almond sauce ingredients until creamy and combined. If you want the sauce to be thinner, add a tbsp or two of warm water and whisk to combine.
- Serve in a big serving dish with the sauce on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes